
I was shaken.
Unnerved.
In fact, it brought me to tears.
Five minutes ago, a knock at the door.
There stands our 8 year-old neighbor Hailey, with Zeke in her arms.
Casually, "He was sitting in the middle of the road--for like a few minutes. I saw him from my bedroom window and thought maybe you didn't know..."
I couldn't even speak.
Then I must have said, "Are you serious?" a dozen times.
I clung to Zeke, who was unruffled and happy, but hands and feet cold (it's 35 degrees out).
We figured out that through an unfortunate set of events we set in motion a near-catastrophe.
1. One garage door was open because it needs fixing.
2. I asked Roxy to get me a soda from the garage.
3. When she came back in a stray shoe from the mudroom snagged the housedoor and kept it slightly ajar.
4. One busy and stripped-down Zeke (he had just eaten) came along moments later and escaped.
Before you call Child Protective Services, I swear I had seen him less than five minutes before. I'm sure within 1-2 more minutes we would have wondered where he was and started searching, but....
I can't even figure out how I would have prevented the mishap, other than keeping my children in my sights at all times, which is nearly impossible.
(Although we are fixing that garage door and clearing all the shoes away.)
My heart is still in my stomach.
We all hugged Hailey and I found a bracelet we had been saving for a birthday gift and gave it her.
I told her, "You saved the day. Every time you look at this bracelet you can remember how you saved Zeke."
The sight of little Zeke hugging Hailey's legs made me tear up again.
6 comments:
Angel!!! I know, I know! It happens to all of us. Last year I was happily talking to my friend on the phone. I was pregnant and Jack had been "asleep" for 20 minutes-- when a neighbor burst through the door chasing Jack who was 2 at the time (he was screaming as he ran). Apparently, while I though Jack was napping-- he has snuck out the front door and was playing outside in the front yard... when the neighbor approached him he started to run-- but the wrong direction. The neighbor chased-- jack ran- chased-ran--chased--ran for a while-- finally another neighbor joined and they actually herded him in through the front door-- hence all the screaming.
I felt the same way... it's terrible. But a year from now-- I promise you will be laughing. It is a good thing to know what they can/will do.
So glad he is OK-- what a clever little guy!
Kell
Angel....It happens to all of us with more than 2 kids. Miss you..
we're so glad zeke's ok and hope that your heart recovers soon :)
love u!
It's funny as moms that we dwell on the "what could I have done different"...over and over and over. The answer is nothing. Accidents happen...we don't have eyes on the back of our heads...and we DO have to take our one pair of eyes off them every once and a while. Don't feel guilty, you are a wonderful mother.
Angel, it's Kristi (Bachler) Reutzel. I found your blog through another blog. Your family is so cute! And about the kid in the street thing, anyone who has adventurous kids isn't judging; it probably brings back a million memories of similar experiences-it does for me!
Sweet, crazy, adventurous Zeke!!!! You are an amazing mommy! No worries, little man is A-OK, that is all that matters!
Post a Comment